When I hear about the nation of Afghanistan, it is usually in regards to the war. I knew little about this country outside of this, but have come to discover that this country has a rich history and culture. Did you know:
- Afghanistan is the 41st largest nation in the world
- The Pashtun and Tajiks are the major ethnic groups of Afghanistan
- The first newspaper in Afghanistan was published in 1906
- Though soccer is the most popular sport in Afghanistan, cricket is gaining popularity
- Poetry plays a major role in the Afghan culture
- Winters are very cold (average of 5 °F) and Summers are very hot (average of 95°F) in Afghanistan
All Afghan Christians come from a Muslim background. Believers who are discovered face discrimination from family and community, Muslim clergy and local authorities. The government treats converts in a hostile manner, using any means possible to make them recant. The tiny Christian minority cannot meet in public; meetings in private homes are possible, but require great caution. Not a single official church building remains, not even for expatriate believers. In February, an Afghan Christian was released after spending nearly nine months in prison on charges of apostasy.