Did You Know- Chechnya Edition
Part of Russia, many are surprised that Chechnya is on the World Watch List today. Did you know:
· Since 1990 there have many conflicts with separatists and pro-Russian authorities
· Tourism has been on the rise since 2007. At the end of the Cold War tourism decreased significantly.
· Chechens and Russian make up the majority of the population
· Celebration of nature is a prominent part of Chechen society
· Sheikh Mansur was a Chechen leader who led the resistance against Catherine the Great’s imperialist expansion
· Many Chechens speak Turkish
Still formally a part of the Russian Federation, Chechnya remains one of the most difficult places for Christians in Russia. Persecution is political as well as religious, since Christianity is associated with Russia, with whom they had civil war. The influence of Islam is growing; all indigenous Christians are seen as traitors to the Islamic society and suffer greatly from government oppression. Conversion is a great disgrace to the family and brings the risk of ‘honor killings’. Fellowship and public confession of faith is almost impossible.