Leading Up to U.S.-North Korea Summit, Open Doors Calls for 24-Hour Prayer, Fasting on June 11
As the U.S.-North Korea Summit approaches on June 12, Open Doors is calling Christians to 24 hours of prayer and fasting on June 11 in advance of the historic meeting. We are calling all American Christians to join God in what He is doing in North Korea and around the globe–through fervent prayer for Presidents Trump and Kim Jong-un, their time together and the underground church of North Korea, 300,000 Christians strong.
As people of prayer, we want to lean on God’s Word and claim His promises. Open Doors Founder Brother Andrew reminds us that our prayers “can go where we cannot … there are no borders, no prison walls, no doors that are closed to us when we pray.” And 19th-century minister Samuel Chadwick writes that prayer is our greatest weapon: “Satan dreads nothing but prayer. His one concern is to keep the saints from praying. He fears nothing from prayerless studies, prayerless work, prayerless religion. He laughs at our toil, mocks our wisdom, but trembles when we pray.”
Biblical promises about prayer and fasting:
- “Then Jesus told his disciples … that they should always pray and not give up” (Luke 18: 1, NIV);
- “… if you ask the Father for anything in My name, He will give it to you” (John 16:23, NASB);
- “The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world. On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds” (2 Corinthians 10:4, NIV).
Scripture also tells us to fast, noting several instances where fasting is an important part of the prayer process, especially as we pray and intercede in spiritually stubborn situations. Matthew’s Gospel shares Jesus’ words about the power of faith, prayer and fasting to His disciples:
“Then the disciples came to Jesus privately and said, ‘Why could we not drive it [demon] out?’ And He said to them, ‘Because of the littleness of your faith; for truly I say to you, if you have faith the size of a mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move; and nothing will be impossible to you. [But this kind does not go out except by prayer and fasting.”]'” (Matthew 17:19-21, NASB).
Praying and Fasting for a Country Ruled by Isolation and Fear
For the last 17 consecutive years, North Korea has ranked as the #1 most dangerous country for Christians on the World Watch List. The country has become infamously known for its human rights violations of North Koreans and harsh treatment of North Korean Christians.
In the East Asian country, the Kim regime uses isolation and fear to rule the country–keeping the 25.4 million people living there uninformed and immersed in propaganda. North Koreans must worship the ruling family–nothing else–and Christianity is illegal and will be punished. The discovery of faith results in imprisonment in the country’s notorious prison camps and even death for not only the individual or family but also three generations of that family.
Below, we offer 15 powerful, informed and specific prayers of petition that we, as the Body of Christ, can bring to God—interceding for and standing with our North Korean brothers and sisters in Christ both before and during the Summit.
15 Important, Informed Prayers for U.S.-North Korea Summit
- Pray that President Trump and Kim Jong-un’s historic meeting on June 12 will be the first in a series of actions that sets Korea on a new course of religious freedom.
- Pray that Kim will be convinced to release the more than 50,000-plus Christians unjustly held in detention centers and prison camps throughout the country.
- Pray that Kim will loosen age-old requirements that residents attend indoctrination classes and display and bow to Kim family portraits.
- Pray that Kim will lift information embargoes and allow his people greater access to radio shows, TV programs, and websites.
- Pray that Kim will allow for the creation of new churches where North Koreans can freely worship outside of the one “show church” that currently exists.
- Pray that existing believers within North Korea would take courage to lead a new revival of the Christian faith in North Korea.
- Pray that the underground church In North Korea would grow in boldness and be ready for widespread evangelism efforts when the opportunity arises.
- Pray that extended families who have been separated across North and South Korea may be reunited.
- Pray that organizations like Open Doors will be allowed access to provide Christian training and resources to believers in North Korea.
- Pray that other relief and aid organizations would gain entrance to provide relief aid, trauma care, and other needed services.
- Pray that North Korea’s economic and social infrastructure will find reform—that children will no longer be forced into labor, that preschoolers will no longer be indoctrinated, that roadways will be made safe.
- Pray that North Korea’s food supply would be enriched through education and increased trade, so that the 2 in 5 who are currently undernourished will be provided with adequate nutrition.
- Pray that God will give North Korean people wisdom to sift through the many nationalistic and mythical storylines and propaganda they have been fed throughout their lives.
- Pray that parents will ultimately be able to freely share their faith with their children and raise them to know Jesus.
- Pray that U.S. and other world leaders would put in place the right sanctions, pressures, encouragements and opportunities to restore peace and well-being for North Koreans and their neighbors.
Join Us June 11 for Online PRayer Summit
We would also like to invite you to join an exclusive online Prayer Summit for North Korea on Monday evening, where Christians around the world can gather to pray for this landmark meeting as the Trump/Kim meetings are kicking off.
During the online Prayer Summit, an Open Doors expert will share why North Korea is one of the most difficult regions in the world to be a Christian.
It is our hope that God will use this meeting between two world leaders to pave the way for a new era of religious freedom in their country.
The prayer summit will take place on Monday, June 11th at:
We urge you right now to note June 11 on your calendar and then come together with millions of Christians around the world as we stay alert, lifting hearts and voices–praying for God’s unseen hand to move.
“And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord’s people” (Eph. 6:18).
Click here to download these memes.