Pray for the Persecuted in Nigeria as Buhari Meets Trump at White House
Next Monday, April 30, President Trump will meet with Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari at the White House. The two world leaders are expected to discuss the promotion of economic growth, fighting terrorism, and building on Nigeria’s role as a democratic leader in the region. Please help us reinforce the importance of this conversation to President Trump by tweeting the post below:@realDonaldTrump, in your April 30 meeting w/ President Buhari, pls raise Fulani militant herdsmen violence in northern Nigeria. In the last year, 50 Christian villages have been destroyed & thousands are dead. Praying 4 you... #pray4Nigeria Click To Tweet
Please pray for Open Doors’ advocacy efforts as we seek to flag the Muslim Fulani militant herdsmen crisis facing believers in northern Nigeria. Specifically, Open Doors is asking President Buhari to:
- Ensure that all Nigerian citizens are protected equally regardless of their ethno-religious affiliation–providing timely security when they have credible reports of impending attacks.
- Take tangible steps to ensure the law is applied without regard to ethno-religious affiliation, including creating credible, transparent and impartial investigations of attacks that effectively work to bring perpetrators of violence to justice.
- Expand US-Nigeria coordinated efforts for law enforcement and legal training; monitoring and prevention of violence; and distribution of humanitarian assistance aimed at rebuilding the lives and livelihoods of victims of Fulani extremists.
Pray specifically With Your Nigerian Brothers and Sisters in Christ
- Pray with Open Doors for wisdom and discernment as we speak to the U.S. presidency and government leaders about deadly Fulani violence that has claimed the lives of 497 Christians over the last four months alone.
- Ask God to comfort all of our brothers and sisters who have suffered loss in the recent violence. Pray for hope and strength for aching hearts who have lost loved ones and live under the threat of attack.
- Pray for Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari and his government. The 75-year-old leader was born to a Fulani family, his father a Fulani chief who died when he was four. Awaken hearts and minds to address the Fulani issue with urgency and justice.
- Pray that the Church in Nigeria would be unified as they respond to and speak out about the increasing violence against Christians in Nigeria’s Middle Belt region–and that believers will be heard and listened to as they share their stories of increasing persecution.