2019 World Watch List Press Room
Research, resources and visuals to help you tell the story
The World Watch List uses data from Open Doors fieldworkers and independent experts to track the deep structures of persecution. It measures the degree of freedom a Christian has to live out their faith in five spheres of life—private, family, community, national and church life—plus a sixth sphere measuring the degree of violence. The data is translated into points and countries are ranked accordingly. The list is independently audited by the International Institute for Religious Freedom.
Resources for the media below.
- More than 245 million Christians in the world are highly persecuted for their Christian faith.
- 1 in 9 Christians worldwide experience high levels of persecution
- 14%: The rise in the number of Christians in the top 50 countries on the 2019 World Watch List who experience high levels of persecution. (from the 2018 reporting period to 2019’s)
- 4,136: Christians killed for faith-related reasons in the top 50 WWL countries.
- 2,625: Christians detained without trial, arrested, sentenced and imprisoned in the top 50 WWL countries.
- 1,266: churches or Christian buildings attacked in the top 50 WWL countries.
- North Korea has been ranked #1 on the World Watch List for 18 consecutive years.
- The research period for the 2019 World Watch List took place from October 31, 2017 to November 1, 2018.
- Research on Gendered Persecution
- Full list of the top 50 countries in the 2019 World Watch List, with scores for each category and country
WWL Overview Video
*Please credit these images to Open DoorsDownload Zip File