For media inquiries or to schedule interview, please contact DeMoss.
Open Doors was founded in 1955 by Brother Andrew, a Christian who smuggled Bibles into Eastern Europe and the Soviet Union for more than two decades, making Open Doors USA one of the oldest, ongoing ministries to work with persecuted Christians. Today, Open Doors is the authority on persecuted Christians, as one of the only ministries with on-the-ground resources. Open Doors works in more than 60 of the world’s most oppressive and restrictive countries, strengthening Christians to remain strong in their faith under harrowing circumstances.
Through programs such as Bible & Gospel Development, which provides Bibles, training and Christian resources; Women & Children Advancement, which helps provide programs to those who are marginalized for both their beliefs and status in society; and Christian Community Restoration, which helps refugees and other who have had their communities destroyed because of their faith, Open Doors supports Christians living under restriction and persecution. In addition, Open Doors provides reliable information to the free world about what persecuted Christians are facing and has resources on the ground to provide firsthand accounts.
Christians are one of the most persecuted religious groups in the world and are oppressed in at least 60 countries. An average of at least 180 Christians are killed for their faith each month. As religious persecution against Christians continues to intensify and expand around the world, Open Doors provides a passionate yet thoughtful voice on behalf of those living under persecution. The organization educates and mobilizes Christians living in the free world to identify with those living under persecution and to be actively involved in assisting them. While focused on serving persecuted Christians, Open Doors believes religious persecution of any kind should not be tolerated.
2014 Open Doors Quick Facts:
* Open Doors is an international Christian ministry which supports and strengthens persecuted Christians around the world. It reaches out to persecuted believers because Open Doors believes “when one member (of the Christian family) suffers, all members suffer with it…” (1 Cor. 12:26)
* Christians are one of the most persecuted religious groups worldwide. In 2014 a total of at least 4,344 Christians were killed and 1,062 churches attacked for faith-related reasons.
* This year Open Doors is celebrating 60 years of serving persecuted believers. Open Doors is one of the oldest on-going international ministries to suffering Christians.
* Brother Andrew is the founder of Open Doors and author of the autobiography “God’s Smuggler,” which has sold over 10 million copies in 45 languages. He was first called “brother” when he began delivering Bibles behind the Iron Curtain. The recipients of God’s Word would ask him his name, and he would say, “I am a brother of all those who love and follow Jesus Christ.”
* Dr. David Curry is President/CEO of Open Doors USA.
* Open Doors reaches out to persecuted Christians through three program areas: Bible and Gospel Development, Women and Children Advancement and Christian Community Restoration.
* In 2014, Open Doors delivered 3.1 million Bibles, children’s Bibles, New Testaments and other Christian literature to persecuted believers around the globe. Open Doors trained 308,000 people through Christian leadership tutoring, trauma support instruction, theological courses and seminars on how to cope with persecution. Open Doors served 356,000 people through social/economic projects, including livelihood support, safe houses, literacy courses, prison ministry and emergency help.
* Open Doors is a charter member of the Evangelical Council for Financial Accountability (ECFA).
* Open Doors USA is one of the lead agencies promoting the International Day of Prayer for the Persecuted Church (IDOP) which takes place this year on Sunday, Nov. 1.
*The Open Doors 2015 World Watch List of countries that are the worst persecutors of Christians is available at http://www.worldwatchlist.us. North Korea is the No. 1 persecutor for the 13th straight year.
* To access information on Open Doors USA programs, prayer helps, breaking news from the field and helping persecuted believers through your gifts, go to www.OpenDoorsUSA.org. Or call our toll free number 888-5-BIBLE-5 (888-524-2535). The Open Doors Facebook site can be accessed at www.facebook.com/opendoorsfans?ref=share.
World Watch List
Each year, Open Doors publishes the World Watch List, which chronicles the 50 worst countries for religious persecution for Christians. Since 2002, North Korea has topped the list as the most dangerous place to live for a Christian. The Middle East accounts for a majority of the countries in the top 10, with the underlying cause for persecution in this region being Islamic extremism.