We would like to invite Christians worldwide, especially children, to write letters to Alvaro (4½), Trinity (4) and Anita (2½), the children of Indonesia who were victims of a church bombing in 2016 in Samarinda, the capital of the Indonesian province of East Kalimantan. They are in dire need of your prayers and encouragement to heal physically and emotionally.
It was Sunday, November 13, 2016, around 10 a.m. Children were playing and laughing in a church park in Samarinda. They were waiting for their parents who were in the main sanctuary for the Sunday service when a terrorist threw a petrol bomb directly into the church park. It exploded, followed by another one, seconds later.
Four children were severely wounded in the bombing—Alvaro, Trinity, Anita and Intan. Intan passed away a day later. Of the remaining surviving children, Alvaro and Trinity were the most severely injured, requiring long-term treatment until today. All of them are still traumatized by the incident.
The look of the scars on their faces, hands and legs have affected their self-image and personality. “I am ashamed, my bodies are full scars,” said Alvaro. “Trinity loses her temper easily after the blast,” said her mother, Sarinah.
These children are in dire need of your prayers and encouragement to recover physically and mentally from the trauma. They need help to believe in God’s beautiful plan for their lives. Your cards/letters will encourage them to know that you are praying for them and their families. Please address your cards personally to the children—Alvaro, Trinity or Anita. (If you are addressing the cards to the parents, please mention so.)
- Do not mention Open Doors.
- Greeting cards, artwork by children and postcards are best (send postcards in an envelope, do not write the Open Doors address on the postcard). Again, drawings or artwork are preferred because the recipients are preschoolers.
- Print clearly (only write in English) and use a Bible verse or two. If you use Bible verse, it would be helpful if you can write in Bahasa Indonesia’s version (can be easily found in internet).
- Provide your name & country, not your full address.
- Do not send money with the cards or letters.
Some encouraging words in Bahasa Indonesia (the national language) would be much appreciated by the children and their parents, as their English is very limited. These are some simple ones that the supporters (or their children) can write:
- Tuhan memberkati (God bless you)
- Tuhan Yesus sayang kalian (Jesus loves you)
- Kami mendoakan kalian (We are praying for you)
- Kalian berharga di mata Tuhan (You are precious in God’s eyes)
- Kalian adalah inspirasi kami (You are our inspiration)
- Tetap kuat di dalam Tuhan! (Remain strong in the Lord!)
- Kamu cantik! (You are beautiful! – Strictly for girls)
- Kamu tampan! (You are handsome! – Strictly for boys)
- Kamu indah di mata Tuhan (You are beautiful in God’s eyes)
- Kamu bisa jadi apapun yang kamu mau (You can be anything you want)
- Kamu hebat! (You are awesome!)
- Tuhan punya rencana indah buatmu (God has beautiful plan for you)
Mail your physical letters to:
Open Doors USA
PO Box 27001
Santa Ana, CA 9279