The Egyptian elections resulted in a majority for the Muslim Brotherhood and raising the possibility that stricter restrictions will be placed on Egypt’s Christians. Though many Christians are accepting the situation and abiding by the outcome, some church leaders hold the position that this election was not sufficiently objective for the following reasons:
- The government gave permission for religiously based parties.
- These parties used religion to pressure people to vote in one direction.
- There is both recorded and eye witness proof of rigging.
While those who stand for a secular government are still both vocal and influential, Egyptian Christians are moving into a new era facing the possible threat of a hard line radical government that will not protect the rights of Christians.
- Please continue to pray that God will grant peace of heart and trust in Him for the future to the Egyptian Christians and Churches.
- Pray that God will prepare the way for Christians to retain voting rights and maintain a voice in Egyptian politics and society.
- Pray for wisdom and faithfulness for the Egyptian Christian leadership.
Father we lift up Egyptian Christians and churches, calling on Your Spirit to grant them peace in their hearts and trust in Your presence in the future of Egypt. Prepare the way for Christians to continue to have a vote and a voice in Egyptian politics and society, being salt and light. Grant wisdom and faithfulness to the Egyptian Christian leaders as they set the tone for those in their congregations. In the name of Jesus who continues to rule and reign in Egypt, Amen.