Our North Korea team recently received both encouraging and inspiring messages from North Korean secret believers whom Open Doors is equipping to strengthen and disciple the church. As you read their words, let them sink in. Take a minute to realize the significant role you play as part of the Body of Christ called to be witnesses to the ends of the earth (Acts 1:8). Spend time in prayer, lifting up our these North Korean secret believers–our brothers and sisters in Christ.
“Thank you so much for the Christian books and other materials you have provided,” she said. “They are so important for the Secret Church in North Korea. They stir our hearts so much. We long to receive God’s amazing grace and mercy and desire to hear His voice so we can follow Him.
“These resources are the catalyst for the spiritual growth of our church. Thanks to you, we become more passionate for the Kingdom of God. I thank you from the bottom of my heart. I pray that everything goes well for you in 2019 and that you will experience the Father’s blessing.”
Another North Korean secret believer we spoke to shared, “We give thanks, praise and glory to our Heavenly Father who makes us victorious all the time. Whenever we face difficulties, we break through the difficulties by the power of faith. We walk on the road of faith while singing songs of victory. That is only possible through the love and support from our fellow workers around the world.
“We don’t even know your names and haven’t seen your faces, but thanks to you we can sing these songs of victory.”
Our North Korea team notes that 2019 will be a challenging year for North Korean secret believers and Open Doors’ underground ministry in North Korea. Despite the upcoming summit between Donald Trump and Kim Jong-un (the leaders will meet on Feb. 27 in Vietnam for the second time in less than a year), the situation hasn’t improved for Christians and other citizens in the isolated country considered to have the world’s worst human rights violation record. Being a secret believer in North Korea is as dangerous as ever. In 2018, a number of North Korean Christians were killed for their faith. But for security reasons, we can’t share those details.
Praying With North Korean Secret Believers
- Pray that God will use this second meeting between President Trump and Kim Jong-un’s on February 27 to advance His Kingdom and set a new course of religious freedom for North Korean secret believers.
- Pray that Kim will be convinced to release the more than 50,000-plus Christians unjustly held in detention centers and prison camps throughout the country.
- Pray that Kim will loosen age-old requirements that residents attend indoctrination classes and display and bow to Kim family portraits.
- Pray that Kim will lift information embargoes and allow his people greater access to radio shows, TV programs, and websites.
- Pray that Kim will allow for the creation of new churches where North Koreans can freely worship outside of the “show churches” that currently exist.
- Pray that North Korean secret believers would take courage to lead a new revival of the Christian faith in North Korea.
- Pray that the underground church In North Korea would grow in boldness and be ready for widespread evangelism efforts when the opportunity arises.
- Pray that extended families who have been separated across North and South Korea may be reunited.
- Pray that organizations like Open Doors will be allowed access to provide Christian training and resources to believers in North Korea.
- Pray that other relief and aid organizations would gain entrance to provide relief aid, trauma care, and other needed services.
- Pray that North Korea’s economic and social infrastructure will find reform—that children will no longer be forced into labor, that preschoolers will no longer be indoctrinated, that roadways will be made safe.
- Pray that North Korea’s food supply would be enriched through education and increased trade, so that the two in five North Koreans who are currently undernourished will be provided with adequate nutrition.
- Pray that God will give North Korean people wisdom to sift through the many nationalistic and mythical storylines and propaganda they have been fed throughout their lives.
- Pray that parents will ultimately be able to freely share their faith with their children and raise them to know Jesus.
- Pray that U.S. and other world leaders would put in place the right sanctions, pressures, encouragements, and opportunities to restore peace and well-being for North Koreans and their neighbors.
“And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord’s people” (Eph. 6:18).