At number 10 on the 2016 World Watch List, Libya finds itself among the top 10 worst countries for Christians for the first time. This ranking reflects the deterioration of the situation for Christians in Libya. Life is becoming increasingly difficult for believers, and only a few regular meetings of local believers continue to meet throughout the country. Believers often feel alone and isolated, and they deeply treasure the few meetings they are able to attend. They have particularly asked for prayers that these meetings be allowed to continue, and that the people who attend would be protected.
In addition, they ask for the following prayers:
· Every local believer is facing persecution from their families and the society around them. Pray that they will find a way to protect themselves and be able to share more about their faith.
· A local believer has moved to another part of the country. Pray he will be able to find other Christians in his new community.
· Earlier this year, two Egyptian men were killed in Libya because of their Christian identity. Pray for their family back in Egypt who need to continue with their lives.
· There are still many migrants living in Libya, including many sub-Saharan Africans, Egyptians and other nationalities. Those who are believers are under a lot of pressure because of their Christian identity. Pray for daily protection in their lives.
· The largest migrant church in the country is under a lot of pressure due to both resistance to their Christian faith and racism towards foreign workers. Pray for protection for the church and its members.
· The country is in chaos and a state of anarchy. Pray for a solution that provides Libyans with the opportunity to build up their own country.
· Islamic State is gaining strength and a major foothold in Libya. They have taken over an area around Sirte and are trying to start a new An Islamic State led by a caliph, a political and religious leader seen as a successor to the Islamic prophet Muhammad. His power and authority are absolute. there. Pray for the Lord to bring these plans to nothing, and for members of IS to have supernatural, life changing encounters with Jesus.
· There are a few foreigners in the country who try to share the faith with Libyan friends. Please pray for their protection, security and wisdom.
· There are around one million Libyans living outside their country; some live in North Africa, others in Europe and the rest of the world. There also believers among this group of dispersed Libyans. Pray they will find safety in their new country and encounter other believers with whom to have fellowship.
· Pray for the city of Benghazi, the largest city in the east of the country. Warring militias are constantly fighting in this city. At the same time, there are believers in this city. Pray for a solution to the problems in this country.
Father, we lift up our hands in humble supplication before You, bringing these requests on behalf of our Your church in Libya. We pray that You will use even these hard times to reveal Yourself to them more and more clearly, that they might grow in courage and faith. With Paul, in Ephesians 3:21, we pray, “Now to him who is able to do far more abundantly than all that we ask or think, according to the power at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, forever and ever. Amen.”