Pray With 141 Christians, Including 14 Children, Arrested in Eritrea
Our field has asked us to pray with 141 Christians arrested in Eritrea in the capital city of Asmara. On Friday, May 10, security agents arrested 141 Christians, mostly women. Police rounded up 104 adult females, 23 men and 14 minors from the Mai Temenai area of the city.
As far as we know, none of them have been charged. However, concern is growing over the well-being of the children and the elderly in the group.
Reportedly, officials separated the men and women before taking the women to Police Station Number 4 and the men to Adi Abeito prison, the main prison for Asmara and the surrounding areas. It’s not known where the 14 minors are being held. Eritrea’s intricate prison system is known for its brutality, including jailing prisoners in metal shipping containers in scorching heat.
Since 1993, Eritrea President Isaias Afwerki has overseen an authoritarian brutal regime that rests on massive human rights violations. Known as the “North Korea of Africa,” the country in the Horn of Africa is consistently in the top 10 on Open Doors’ World Watch List; this year it ranks at No. 7.
Please pray with us for Christians arrested in Eritrea:
- Pray that everyone in this group of recent arrests would experience God’s transcendent peace and comfort as they endure this persecution.
- Pray for the Lord’s spiritual and physical provision to these men, women and children.
- Pray that they would not be ruled by fear but rather by the love of God who gives us sound minds.
- Pray that the Lord would glorify himself through the testimonies of our brothers and sisters.
- Pray that God would soften the heart of President Afwerki and draw the country’s government leaders to Himself.
- And pray for the secret church of Eritrea. Ask God to give these believers His wisdom, discernment and courage as they follow Jesus in the volatile country.
Photo: Eritrean Christians praying in a secret location.
Open Doors will continue to bring news on this developing story as soon as possible.