Week of Prayer for Iraq
The expatriate community in Iraq is calling for a week of prayer for the country from Saturday 31st of March until Saturday 7th April. This call for prayer follows the fatal attack on Jeremiah, an American teacher, who was killed in Iraq early in March.
In mourning over the unexpected death of Jeremiah, they are calling for us to join in prayer during Holy Week, focusing on the victory that has changed the eternal destiny of millions of people.
Please share the guide, “How to Spend an Hour in Prayer” with others. Invite them to also join in prayer.
“How to Spend an Hour in Prayer” This may be your first time spending an extended time in prayer, or this may be a regular practice. As we pray together this week, you may choose to follow these six steps, or pray as the Holy Spirit leads.
Read the passage found in Matt. 6: 9-13 (the Lord’s Prayer). This will allow you to reflect and meditate as you begin your time in prayer.
PREPARATION (5 min) – Beginning by praying, “Our Father in Heaven, I thank you for this hour. I give you myself. Help me to hear what is on Your heart. Amen.”
- Ask God to show you if there is any sin in your life. Take time to listen, and confess if God shows you any unconfessed sin. (Psalm 139:23,24)
- Give thanks to God for His forgiveness through Jesus. (1 John 1:9)
PRAISE AND THANKSGIVING (10 min) – Praise God with your own words. Sing a song of worship. Read a Psalm (e.g. Ps. 24, 93, 100, 103, 139).
MEDITATION: (5-10 min) – Spend time reading one or more Scripture verses listed above and consider what God wants to show you.
LISTENING (5min) – Spend 5 minutes in silence before God. Ask him to show you what he wants you to pray for, for yourself and for others.
BRING YOUR REQUESTS TO GOD
- Petition (10 min) – Tell God about your personal situations, where you need guidance and help.
- Intercession (15-20 min) – Use the prayer points below.
THANKSGIVING (5 min)
- Give thanks to the Father for hearing and answering your prayers. Phil 4:6,7
Prayer Points – shared from local leaders in Iraq:
DAY ONE – For God to work among the Kurdish people
- Much sowing has been done. Pray for much fruit. Pray for the Kurdish people, that their eyes will be opened and that they come to know the truth.
- Pray that the Kingdom of God will spread among all the Kurds, wherever they are found.
- Pray for a mighty work of the Holy Spirit among the Kurds and all the people (men and women) of Iraq.
DAY TWO – For the churches in the whole country
- Pray that the leaders will have the strength to do the will of God and that they are protected from the attacks of the enemy.
- Pray that there will be unity and good relationships between the various groups and churches.
- We have one Father in Heaven. Pray that all the believers live out true love and appreciation for one another.
- Forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors.
- Pray for all the believers, that Jesus will be first in all our lives! Pray that we will all be grounded in God’s word and nothing will hinder us from following Christ wholeheartedly.
- Pray that God will strengthen the faith of all believers.
DAY THREE – The nation and political leaders
- There are people in our country who don’t want peace. They use violence to get their own way. Pray that they will meet the Lord, the true Prince of Peace, and that they will stop their deeds of destruction.
- Pray for those in positions of power and authority, that they seek justice and for acts of righteousness.
- Pray for God’s protection on the government and security forces.
- Pray for the local religious leaders, that the Lord will reveal the truth to them.
DAY FOUR – Children
- Pray for the children in our country, for God’s blessing upon them, and for ways to share the Good News among them.
- Pray for the children of believers, that they will receive good teaching and choose to walk with the Lord.
DAY FIVE – Middle East
- Many countries are facing unrest. Pray that God will use these events to open the way for the Gospel, may His kingdom come, His will be done.
- In some places, Christians have come under more pressure since the Arab Spring. Pray for them.
- Pray for the people of Syria, for an end to the needless killing and for a way for peace to be found.
- Pray for our brothers and sisters in Syria. May God give them real hope and courage to do his will.
- Pray for brothers and sisters in Iran. Many suffer persecution. May they know how much God cares for them.
DAY SIX – Relating to the death of Jeremiah Small
- May God continue to comfort those who are mourning and feeling the pain of the tragic loss.
- Pray for the youth in this country, that they find good role models to show them how to handle conflict within themselves and with others. May they see hope for their future. May they hunger and thirst for righteousness and truth.
- That Jeremiah’s death will help many to see the true Light of the world.
DAY SEVEN – Praise God for Christ’s resurrection
- Praise God that the same power that raised Jesus from the dead is at work in us.
- Hallelujah! Jesus is stronger than Satan, sin and death.
- Thank you Father, that Jesus is always with us now and until we see Him face to face.
- Thank you Lord; you give us hope which no one can take away from us.
- Help us to live in this truth, every day of our lives. Amen